Monday, November 23, 2009

Dix

What times are we living in where sixteen year old girls must be affected by financial issues?
Where young, sixteen year old girls must sacrifice the things they care about because of financial stress.
And I'm not just talking about the little things like a milkshake, or a new dress.
I'm talking about opportunties, experiences, the things that matter.

Why must I sit here on the verge of tears, knowing that no matter how much I want something, money will be the reason why I can't have it.
I've always believed that anyone can do anything they want to if they work hard enough.
But I guess no matter how hard you work, there are other factors that contribute.
I work hard.
But there is no possible way for me to get the money I need.

So now I must sacrifice something that I really want. I have to let down my friends, give up a rite of passage, and miss out on an amazing experience. All because of something as materialistic as money.

Why must my innocent, juvenile mind be corrupted by adult problems?

Kids shouldn't have to worry about this sort of thing.

I'm having a hard time swallowing the lump in my throat as I type this.




Are we growing up too quickly these days? I wish things were simpler. I wish the world wasn't so driven by consumerism, by greed, by money.
You go to university to get a career. You have a career to make money. You make money to spend on yourself.
I hate it.
Why must I need ridiculous amounts of money just so I can enjoy myself and have a good time with my friends?
Why must I sacrifice that just because I don't have enough money.
I hate it.

I guess things don't always work out the way you want them to. I can't always expect everything to go my way. That's life.

I should probably get used to it. I should cover my heart in stone so it doesn't feel these things anymore. So disappointment and happiness are the same thing. So I can become blind to the horrible way in which our world works, so that I don't care about it anymore. That's what everyone else does right?



The worst part is that I know out there, millions of people are starving. I'm complaining because I have to sacrifice one experience in my life. They have to sacrifice their lives.


That still doesn't make me feel any better. That still won't stop the tears. But it's something. And I really am thankful for everything I have. But it still hurts.

Just another everyday fairytale,
Erin x.

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com